Week 0 – Taking Inventory of the Property
On a budget and wanting to work with what I have. I walk the grounds of the property taking inventory of what has been left behind for me to use.
- One old rectangular garden plot left behind by brother Sean.
- 2 Pear trees
- 1 Fig tree
- 3 Blackberry patches
- 2 Raspberry patches
- 5 Blueberry plants, 3 more to plant
- 6 Tomato plants growing out of compost
- 2 Squash plants growing out of compost
- Many unidentified bushes, flowers and plants from previous landscaping projects
- Shit-ton of weeds
- Lots of flat stones to work with
- Broken fence posts
- 1 Very large compost pile to be cleaned out and reconstructed
- 1 small plastic compost container filled with soil
- 2 small plastic containers full of seed packages
- Front Porch to be cleaned up
- Back Stone Patio with Wysteria Arbor to be cleaned and fixed up
To be done:
- Construct, plant, tend and beautify old garden plot
- Redo compost area
- Cleanout, weed and replant front flower/herb garden
- Fix fence posts/rebuild
- Build fence for garden?
- Build firepit/sitting area near garden
- build solar/cob over
- irrigation system
- rain barrels
- Go through seed containers, organize and plant
- Clean up and replant,mulch in planted areas around the house
We have a about an acre of woods in the back that I have yet to explore and harvest from. We’ll see what I find. In the meantime, I’ll be using what is in plane sight and borrowing from neighbors who are doing their own landscaping projects. I see lots large cut branches and tree trunks neighborhood.